CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Posadas




The word posada means shelter and the nine nights of posadas leading up to Christmas are said to represent the nine months that Jesus spent in Mary's womb. Posadas is a Mexican tradition that is done every year around Christmas time. Starting on the 16th of December they go to a different person's home every night carrying candles and pictures of the Virgin Mary. When they arrive at someone's home they sing a special carol asking for shelter. They keep doing this until they are let in. Once they are in, they celebrate. The host gives them food and something to drink (Most of the time Tamales and ponche or atole) There are also pinatas for the children. Posadas are a very interesting tradition I would like to try.



In the name of Heaven
I ask you for lodging,
Because She cannot walk,
My beloved wife.

The group inside sings in return:

This is no inn,
Keep on going,
I won't open the door,
In case you are a truant.

Back and forth the singing goes, until the verses lead the hosts to realize just who it is that is pleading outside their home. Then, of course, they open their doors to the visitors, and sing another verse:

Enter, Holy Pilgrims,
Accept this dwelling;
Not only of this humble house,
But of my heart

3 comments:

momma said...

I was impressed with all the info you shared with us, and I especially liked your pics......

Anonymous said...

Well I liked the fact that I learned what days the Posada are celebrated.

YocelinsBlog said...

I like the way you wrote down the song that is sang at the posada and not only that you translated so people can understand in english or spanih.!